Today I am going to tell you how to make one of the easiest and most delicious appetizers you will ever try! I am not kidding, these things will be flying off the plate and your guests will be demanding more. Make sure you grab some for yourself while you are cooking them because if not there may not be any left for you!
I came up with this tasty appetizer in college. I would always BBQ at my house for the Miami Hurricanes away games but one day I wanted to create something different but easy so that I could spend more time watching the game and less time cooking.
Here is what you will need:
- Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7 Recipe Barbecue Sauce
- 1 Hillshire Farm Beef Smoked Sausage (will make about 25 pieces)
- Aluminum Foil
- BBQ Tongs
- Dipping ramekin or sauce cup
- About a half hour before you plan to cook the sausage cut it up into bite size pieces. IMPORTANT: Do not skip this step, some people prefer to cook the sausage whole and then cut it after but then you won’t get the caramelized sauce on all sides!
- Pour the sausages and enough of the Jack Daniel’s Old No. 7 Barbecue Sauce into a bowl so that there is enough sauce to cover all of the sausages
- Let that sit for 20-30 minutes
- Fire your grill to medium-high heat
- Cut a sheet of aluminum foil that is big enough to fit your sausages and double it up so that it is extra thick. If you have heavy duty foil you don’t need to double it up
- Pour your sausages onto the foil
- Keep an eye on the sausages, when they start to caramelize and cook on one side turn them over to cook the other side
- Cook to desired color, some people like them a little charred others don’t, but I find that if part of each sausage is a little charred they have a good mix of flavor and texture
- Poor them on to a plate and stick toothpicks in them so that people can easily serve themselves
- Add a dipping ramekin with the left over BBQ Sauce for extra enjoyment!
Obviously there are many variations that you can try. If you like your sausage spicy you can get a hot sausage, and Jack Daniel’s has a few other sauces that you may want to experiment with. But this is the original and so far the best I have tried. I hope you enjoy it!
Have a safe and happy 4th of July!
– Josh AKA The BBQ Sauce Boss